or once the British weather is absolutely glorious, with sizzling temperatures and sunshine from dawn to dusk.
As many people’s thoughts turn to soaking up the rays in their gardens and putting up paddling pools we’ve put together a selection of simple, adult-only ice lolly recipes to help keep you cool in the sun – perfect to pair with a BBQ.
But, before you raid your alcohol cupboard, there are a few other essentials you will need, including:
- Fine-mesh sieve
- Kitchen scales, measuring cups and spoons
- Jugs and ladles
- Moulds and lolly sticks
You will also need to know how to make a simple syrup, which is made up of 250g of granulated sugar and 250ml of water.
Add your sugar and water to a saucepan on a medium-high heat, and bring to the boil, without stirring.
Then, as soon as it starts to boil set a two minute timer.
After two minutes, take the pan off the heat and leave it to cool.
Transfer to a sealable jar or pot and keep in the fridge for up to a month.
Watermelon & vodka ice lollies
- A wedge of watermelon
- 1 lime
- Vodka, to serve
- Start by lining a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice a watermelon into triangular pieces around two to three centimetres thick.
- With a small, sharp knife create a slit in the rind of each wedge – this is where the lolly stick will sit.
- Pop the wedges on the tray and freeze them overnight – you can then wrap them in baking paper and store in a freezer-proof tub, but, they must be consumed within one week of making.
- To serve, simple pour a measure of vodka into a glass and place a lolly inside the glass.
Gin & tonic ice lollies
- 650ml tonic water
- 100ml simple syrup
- ½ lemon
- ½ lime
- Chunk of cucumber
- 30ml fresh lime or lemon juice
- 60ml gin
- Pour your tonic water into a jug and leave for one to two hours or until it has gone flat.
- Carefully cut your lemon, lime and cucumber into thin slices, and add one of each to each ice lolly mould.
- Add your simple syrup into your flat tonic water, mix and pour into the moulds.
- Leave to set in the freezer for two to three hours until they’re slushy and almost frozen.
- Then pop your sticks into them and freeze overnight.
Tequila Sunrise ice lollies
- 110g strawberries
- 100ml grenadine syrup
- Juice of 1 lime
- 150ml simple syrup
- 450ml fresh orange juice
- 60ml silver tequila